This loaf-pan version of the beloved layer cake has the same signature flavors but is sipler to prepare. Serve the frosted cake with tea for an afternoon pick-me-up; unfrosted, it makes a welcome option on the breakfast table. MAKES ONE 9-BY-5-INCH LOAF
Carrot Tea Cake Recipe – FOR THE CAKE
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 11/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup packed grated carrots (from about 2 carrots)
FOR THE FROSTING
- 8 ounces (1 bar) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Carrot Tea Cake Recipe- DIRECTIONS:
- Make the cake: Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan; dust with flour, tapping out excess. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and brown sugar until pale and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in eggs and vanilla until incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Beat in carrots. Reduce speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture; beat just until combined.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan; smooth top with an offset spatula. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool 15 minutes. Turn out cake onto rack to cool completely. (Cake can be stored at room temperature, wrapped well in plastic, up to 2 days.)
- Make the frosting: With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla until fluffy. Spread frosting over top of cake.