Chocolate and ginger join forces in these holiday-worthy loaves. A full tablespoon of ground ginger flavors the cakes, and candied ginger is used as a garnish atop the chocolate ganache glaze. Makes two 9-By-5-Inch Loaves.
FOR THE CAKES
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 4 ounches semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
FOR THE GLAZE
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Candied ginger, for garnish
- Make the cakes: Preheat oven to 350F. Butter two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans; dust with flour, tapiing out excess. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and ginger.
- Place chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl set over (not in) a pan of simmering water. Stir occasionally just until melted, 4 to 5 minutes; remove from heat to cool slightly.
- With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition; mix in vanilla. Reduce mixer speed to low. Add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with 2 batches of sour cream; beat just until incorporated (do not overmix). Add half the batter to melted chocolate; fold to combine.
- Drop alternating dollops of plain and chocolate batters into each pan. Drag a paring knife back and forth through them several times to swirl. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, 60 to 65 minutes (tent loosely with foil if tops begin to brown too quickly). Transfer pans to a wire rack to cool 30 minutes. Turn out cakes onto racks to cool completely.
- Make the glaze: Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Bring cream to a simmer in a small saucepan. Pour over chocolate, let stand 2 minutes, and then whisk until smooth. Let cool until slightly thickened but pourable. Set cakes, still on sides, over a rimmed baking sheet. Pour glaze over tops, allowing it to drip down sides; let set about 30 minutes. Garnish with strips of candied ginger.