Dark Fruit Cake Recipe – Welcome to Waterfieldtower Kitchen! Today we will be making traditional dark fruit cake, made with lots of dried fruit and spices.
Dark Fruit Cake Recipe – INGREDIENTS:
- 450g / 16oz currants
- 175g / 6oz sultanas
- 175g / 6oz raisins
- 50g / 2oz chopped glacé cherries
- 50g / 2oz mixed chopped candied peel
- zest of 1 orange & 1 lemon
- 100ml brandy
Preheat oven to 140°C / 275°F gas mark 1
For the cake:
- 225g / 8oz plain flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg – freshly grated
- ½ teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 225g / 8oz dark brown soft sugar
- 4 large eggs – beaten
- 1 dessertspoon black treacle
- 225g / 8oz soft butter
- 50g / 2oz chopped nuts
Dark Fruit Cake Recipe – DIRECTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 140°C / 275°F gas mark 1
- Put everything in a bowl and mix well. Cover with a cloth and leave to soak overnight.
- Grease a 8″/20cm cake tin & line with greaseproof paper.
- Sift the flour, salt and spices into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar & butter until soft & fluffy. You can use a mixer or electric hand whisk.
- With your mixer or electric hand whisk still running, add 1 tablespoon of the beaten eggs & 1 teaspoon of the flour mix. Allow to mix well. Repeat until all the egg mixture is gone.
- Gently fold the rest of your flour mix into your butter & egg mixture.
- Gently fold in the pre-soaked fruit mixture, black treacle & chopped nuts. TOP TIP: Place a dessert spoon in a cup of hot water before using with treacle.
- Transfer the cake mixture into the prepared tin. Spread it out evenly with the back of a wet spoon.
- *PLEASE NOTE* If you don’t intend to decorate the cake with marzipan and icing, you can add blanched almonds to the top of the cake at this stage.
- Cut a 1″ hole in the centre of the two greaseproof paper discs & place on top of the cake. Bake on the lowest shelf of the oven for 4 hours until the centre of the cake springs back when pressed. Cook for another 30 minutes if it doesn’t & check again.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 30 minutes before removing it to a wire rack to finish cooling. When cold, you can feed the cake by inserting small holes & spooning in brandy.
- Wrap the cake in cling film & foil. Store in an airtight container for at least two weeks if possible. You can continue to ‘feed’ the cake until you are ready to ice or eat it.
Tags: joy of cooking rich dark fruit cake recipe, epicurious dark fruit cake prizewinner for sale, betty crocker dark fruit cider cake without candied fruit. Dark fruit cake recipe.