Easy Original New York Cheesecake Recipe- New Yorkers are convinced that “their” cheesecake is the best, and indeed, this dessert – said to have made its debut at a city delicatessen in the 1920s – is the picture of smooth, creamy perfection. While there’s no single definition of New York-style, the term generally refers to a classic, unadorned cheesecake. This luxurious version features a cream-cheese and sour-cream filling over a homemade cookie-dough crust. SERVES 8 TO 10.
FOR THE CRUST
- 1/2 CUP (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- Pinch of salt
FOR THE FILLING
- Unsalted butter, for pan
- 3 1/2 pounds (seven 8-ounce bars) cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Make the crust: With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla. Add flour and salt; beat until mixture comes together but still crumbles.
- Preheat oven to 3500F. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to slightly more than 1/8 inch thick. Place the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan on top of dough; using a paring knife, cut out a round about 1/4 inch larger in diameter than the pan. Transfer dough to a baking sheet; freeze 15 minutes. Bake until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer crust to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the filling: Set a kettle of water to a boil. Replace bottom of springform pan, butter side, and insert bottom crust. With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese until fluffy and smooth, about 3 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. In a small bowl, combine sugar and flour. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add sugar mixture to cream cheese; beat until smooth. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until well incorporated after each and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Mix in sour cream and vanilla.
- Pour filling over crust. Wrap bottom and sides of springform pan in a double layer of foil; set springform pan in a large roasting pan. Carefully pour boiling water into roasting pan to reach halfway up side of spring form pan. Bake cheesecake until set, 45 minutes; reduce over temperature to 3250F. Continue to bake until cake is golden on top but still slightly wobby in center, about 30 minutes more. Turn off oven; leave cake in oven with door slightly ajar 1 hour.
- Remove from water bath; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Refrigerate, uncovered, at least 6 hours or up to overnight. Run a knife around edge of cake to loosen before unmolding.