I want to show You how to bake over-the-top sweet and savory recipes that are sure to impress. This week, I’m sharing my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe from when I was a pastry chef in San Francisco.
Grooms Cookie Cake
- 1 lb Butter (4 sticks), at room temperature
- 360 g(1 3/4 Cups) Sugar
- 360 g (1 3/4 Cups) Dark brown sugar
- 3 Whole eggs
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla extract
- 800 g (6 1/2 Cups) All purpose Flour
- 1 ½ tsp Salt
- 3 tsp Baking soda
- 1 lb (2 Cups) Chocolate chips, good quality
- M&M’s for color (optional)
VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 1 1/2 cups Butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups Icing sugar, sifted
- 3 tbsp Milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- pinch of Salt
- With the K beater on your mixer, cream your butter and sugars together until combined.
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla extract together with a fork and add them to the butter on medium high speed. Add in 3 stages so your mix does not separate.
- In a Separate bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients.
- Once all your eggs are incorporated,turn your mix on low and add in the dry ingredients to the mixer in two batches.
- In between flour additions run your spatula along the bottom of the bowl to make sure the dough is mixed evenly. Lastly pour in your chocolate chips.
- Grease and line 9 inch cake pans. Weight out 600g of dough per pan. I made 4 layers but you can do as many as you want. Press cookie dough into the pan to the edges.
- If you are using M&M’s then add them now to the tops of your cookies.
- Bake the cookie layers at 350oF (180oC) for 20 minutes only. Be careful not to over bake, you want them soft and doughie. Remember, when the cookies cool it sets and hardens so you want to make sure you don’t over bake it. I love cookies crispy around the edges and doughie in the middle, YUM!
- Cool on a wire rack and make the frosting.
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting – Using an electric mixer, fit it with the paddle attachment. (or use a hand beater)
- On Medium speed beat the butter for about 8-10 minutes on its own. This makes a huge difference in the end so be pateint and you will be rewarded with amazing frosting.
- When pale in color, add powdered sugar spoonful by spoonful on Low speed. This helps make a fluffy frosting too.
- Turn off the mix and run a spatula under and around the frosting to make sure all ingredients are incorporated. Add milk, vanilla and salt and beat on medium speed for another 5 minutes. The frosting will almost double in size and will be so fluffy and pale in color. It helps to chill your frosting before use so its not too soft.
- When your Cookies are completely cooled start to assemble the cookie cake. First, choose the best looking cookie to be the very top of your masterpiece.
- Spoon the frosting on a cookie layer generously and spread. Repeat with the remaining layers.
- Your cookie cake can be kept out at room temperature, just not in direct sunlight.
- Watch your guests be amazed at your creation. This is a great alternative to a conventional Birthday cake or for any celebration.
For More Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake – Gemma’s Bigger Bolder Baking Episode 2 – Gemma Stafford! http://bit.ly/1eVfGZ1