Lemon Pound Cake Recipe With Candied Lemon Slices And Syrup desserts always top the list of favorites among readers. This one is guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser, with lemon zest mixed in the batter, syrup soaked into the warm cakes, and glaze poured over the top-not to mention the beautiful garnish of candied lemon slices. MAKES TWO 9-BY-5 INCH LOAVES.
Lemon Pound Cake Recipe – INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
FOR THE CANDIED LEMON SLICES AND SYRUP
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 lemons, sliced 1/8 inch thick or thinner, seeds removed
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (from 3 to 4 lemons)
FOR THE GLAZE
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 4 to 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
Lemon Pound Cake Recipe – DIRECTIONS:
- Make the cakes: Preheat oven to 350F. Butter two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans; dust with flour, tapping out excess. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt baking soda, and lemon zest.
- With an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and granulated sugar until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition; mix a vanilla. Reduce speed to low; beat in flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with 2 batches of sour cream.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans; smooth tops with an offset spatula. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes (tent loosely with foil if tops begin to brown too quickly).
- Meanwhile, make candied lemon slices and syrup: In a medium saucepan, combine granulated sugar and the water; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add lemon slices; simmer very gently over medium-low heat, swirling pan occasionally, until slices are opaque throughout, about 35 minutes. Remove from heat; with a slotted spoon, transfer slices to a sheet of waxed paper. Stir lemon juice into syrup to taste.
- Remove cakes from oven. While still in pans, use a wooden skewer of toothpick to poke several holes in tops. Set aside 1/4 cup lemon syrup; pour remainder over cakes. Transfer pans to a wire rack to cool completely, about 2 hours. Turn out cakes onto rack; set rack; set rack over a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Brush tops and sides of cakes all over with reserved syrup.
- Make the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and 4 tablespoons lemon juice; add up to 2 more tablespoons juice until glaze is pourable but thick. Pour over cakes (still on rack), letting it drip down sides. Let set, about 30 minutes. Garnish with candied lemon slices.
Lemon pound cake recipe with candied lemon slices and syrup that you will always remember when gathering with your family and relatives.