Old English Fruitcake. Dark and moist with plenty of spices and packed with plenty of sweet glacé fruit. It’s been a Christmas tradition in British family for decades.
Traditional English Christmas Fruit Cake Recipe
- 5 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 250g softened butter
- 250g of sugar
- 375g of flour
- 5g baking powder
- 50mL milk
- 30mL of Rum
- 1 pinch of salt
- 300g of candied fruits
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon flour to wrap the candied fruits
- Beat the yolks with the sugar
- Add the softened butter into the mixture
- Add the sifted flour and the baking powder gradually
- Add the salt, the milk, the rum and the vanilla wrapping everything well
- Whisk the egg whites until peaks are formed and fold in the previous mixture gently
- Wash the candied fruits in warm water to remove the sugar that covers them, dry them very well with a kitchen cloth and cover them with flour (so they do not sink in the batter), and add them to the cake batter
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180° C for about 1h15, or until you stick a toothpick and it comes out clean.
We hope you enjoy this timeless classic as much as we do.