West Indian Fruit Cake Recipe – waterfieldtower.com. Here is a quick, simple recipe for a Sorrel Fruit Cake. It’s delightfully moist, delicious, and intoxicating! Remember, you can substitute the alcohol with Grape Juice, Malta, Peardrax etc.
West Indian Fruit Cake Recipe- INGREDIENTS:
- 1 1/2 cups of pitted Prunes
- 1 1/2 cups of Raisins
- 1 1/2 cups of Currants
- 1 1/2 cups of rehydrated or fresh Sorrel sepals
- 1 cup of Maraschino Cherries or Candied Cherries
- 1 1/2 cups pf Mixed Peel
- 1/2 bottle or 325 mls Cherry Brandy
- 1-2 cups of Dark Spiced Rum (or your preference)
- 1/2 cup of Sorrel Concentrate
- 1 cup of Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup of boiling Water
3. The batter
- 227 grams or 1/2 lb of Butter (softened at room temperaure)
- 1 cup of Granulated Sugar
- 1 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Almond extract
- Dash of Angostura Bitters
- 1/2 teaspoon of Lime Zest
- 1/2 teaspoon of Orange Zest
- 2 teaspoons of Vanilla Essence or 1 teaspoon of Vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon Powder
- 2 teaspoons Nutmeg
- I used 3/4 of the blended fruits (5 cups)
West Indian Fruit Cake Recipe – DIRECTIONS:
- Bake at 250F or 120C for 2 hours. For bigger cakes, bake for 3 hours.
- Soak cakes with equal portions of Cherry Brandy and Rum, and 2 tablespoons of Sorrel Concentrate.
- Soak as much as you like! The more you soak it, the richer it will be!
Some people profess their love for Black Cake by soaking their fruits months in advance. West Indian Fruit Cake Recipe video here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_8H733CfgU
Tags: guyanese fruit cake recipe, guyanese black cake recipe, bajan black cake recipe, grace kitchens jamaican fruit cake recipe, grenadian black cake recipe, jamaican cake recipe, jamaican black cake icing recipe, old fashioned rum fruit cake recipee.